- Global report: Rio cancels Carnival for first time in a century as global deaths near 1m
- Coronavirus continuing to mutate, study finds
- Helsinki airport enlists sniffer dogs to detect Covid
- Marseille fury at Paris decree to shut its bars amid record case rise
- UK chancellor warns jobs plan will not stem rising unemployment
The Czech Republic’s daily coronavirus caseload rose to 2,913 on Thursday, the second highest figure on record.
Data from the health ministry shows the total number of infections now stands at 58,374 in the country of 10.7 million people, which has been experiencing a surge in infections in recent weeks after a relaxation of lockdown measures in the summer.
The UK government borrowed £35.9bn in August in an effort to tackle the economic fallout from Covid-19, official figures show.
It means the national debt hit a record £2.024 trillion at the end of August – £249.5bn more than the same time last year – according to the Office for National Statistics, pushing borrowing up to 101.9% of gross domestic product (GDP).
Continue reading… Source: The Guardian: Coronavirus live news: France sees record new cases; virus may be becoming more contagious ———