India reports world record one-day cases; Trump appointee to take leave after rant likening CDC scientists to ‘resistance’
- North-east of England faces new restrictions amid cases spike
- CDC director says vaccine won’t be widely available until late 2021
- Why Covid may have already peaked in many African countries
- Chinese border city enters ‘wartime’ mode to tackle Covid outbreak
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Ukraine set a daily record with 3,584 new coronavirus infections on Thursday, country’s the national security council said. That’s up from a figure of 3,144 on 11 September.
Ukraine now has a total of 166,244 cases, with 3,400 deaths and 73,913 recoveries, the council added.
Some positive news for our friends down under. Australia has recorded its lowest one-day rise in Covid cases in nearly three months, prompting hopes that restrictions in some areas will be eased.
Australia said 35 coronavirus cases had been detected in the past 24 hours on Thursday, the lowest one-day rise since 24 June.