Turkey records highest number of new cases since mid-June; India worse than US and Brazil in number of daily new cases; European re-infections add to immunity concerns prompted by Hong Kong case
- Fears of ‘catastrophic’ Covid outbreak in Gaza after first cases outside quarantine emerge
- Spain warns of fired impact of second coronavirus lockdown
- Xinjiang residents handcuffed to homes in Covid lockdown
- UK coronavirus latest – live
- Oxford University Covid-19 vaccine firm denies Trump talks
The US agency in charge of processing immigration applications said it had avoided a planned furlough of 70% of its staff but warned that it still faced financial hardship that could result in some applicants experiencing longer wait times.
The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the agency in charge of processing work permits, so-called green cards and other visas, said that it had avoided furloughs planned for 30 August.
Switzerland is set to be the next country to have quarantine imposed by the government in England, the Telegraph has reported, with the Czech republic and Iceland moving into the “danger zone” due to high coronavirus infection rates.
If confirmed, it will means travellers from Switzerland will have to self-isolate for two weeks on arrival in the country, along with travellers from Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and a number of other countries the UK government deem to have worrying coronavirus infection levels.