- Birx says virus has taken a hold over large parts of the US
- GOP reportedly to ban media from Republican national convention
- Is US attorney general William Barr a danger to democracy?
- QAnon is finding a home in the Republican party
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
Thousands of people in California were under evacuation orders Sunday after a wildfire in mountains east of Los Angeles exploded in size as crews battled the flames in triple-digit heat.
The blaze, dubbed the Apple Fire by local firefighters, was straddling Riverside and San Bernardino counties and consumed more than 23sq miles (about 60sq km) of dry brush and timber, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
Bands of heavy rain from Isaias lashed Florida’s east coast on Sunday while officials dealing with surging cases of coronavirus kept a close watch on the weakened tropical storm, the Associated Press reports.
Isaias was downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm Saturday afternoon, but was still expected to bring heavy rain and flooding as it crawled just off Florida’s Atlantic coast.
Continue reading… Source: The Guardian: Deborah Birx warns Covid-19 now 'extraordinarily widespread' in US – live ———