- Secretary of state delivered controversial speech from Israel
- Trump grants Alice Johnson a full pardon
- President paints Biden as ‘radical’ candidate and danger to US
- Jacob Blake shackled to hospital bed despite being paralyzed, father says
- 1,124 new coronavirus deaths and 45,561 new cases in US yesterday
- Sign up for our First Thing newsletter
The Guardian’s Sam Levine reports:
A Texas appellate court declined on Thursday to re-hear an appeal from Crystal Mason, a Fort Worth woman who was sentenced to five years in prison for trying to vote in 2016.
Trump called the White House press pool into the Oval Office to announce he was granting a full pardon to Alice Johnson.
“We’re giving Alice a full pardon. We are going to do it right now,” Trump said, going on to commend Johnson for the “incredible job” she has done since leaving prison to help others in the criminal justice system.
“The nearly 22 years I spent in prison were not wasted.”
Alice Johnson, grandmother whose sentence was commuted by Pres. Trump, calls on people to “take action for those who are forgotten. That’s what our president, Donald Trump, did for me.” https://t.co/EyJzJDolZ4 pic.twitter.com/UQgG1WZR0t