- America leads the world by quite some way in cases of the deadly virus
- ‘This is unstoppable’: midwest braces for a Covid-19 surge
- Dr Deborah Birx: voice of scientific reason or apologist for Trump?
- Trump signs order for coronavirus relief
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
A total of nine students and staff members at a Georgia high school that made national headlines after a photo shared on social media showed its hallways packed with teenagers, many of them not wearing masks, have tested positive for the coronavirus.
North Paudling High School principal Gabe Carmona wrote Saturday that six students and three staff members returned positive tests in a letter obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
This is the first day of school in Paulding County, Georgia. pic.twitter.com/fzdidaAABM
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Sunday reported 4,974,959 cases of the new coronavirus, an increase of 54,590 cases from its previous count a day prior, and said that the number of deaths had risen by 1,064 to 161,284.
The CDC reported its tally of cases of the respiratory illness known as Covid-19, caused by a new coronavirus, as of 4pm ET on 8 August.