Prof Michael Kidd says the milestone was passed in the last 24 hours; stay-at-home orders in place for 10 postcodes in Melbourne’s north
- Australia passes Covid-19 milestone
- Victoria announces number of new cases
- Melbourne street split down the middle by Covid-19 lockdown
- Everything we know about Victoria’s clusters
- Follow the global coronavirus live blog
- Download the Guardian app to get the most important news notifications
The end of September will be “an incredible danger zone” for the Australian economy, Danielle Wood from the Grattan Institute has warned.
We’ve been very vocal about the concern of not just jobkeeper rolling off but the jobseeker supplement [and] a number of other support programs all coming off at the same time at the end of September. That is an incredible danger zone for the economy.
We think having a different part time rate might be a compromise to better target the scheme so the money is going to those who need it more.
An update on the Balmain Covid-19 case:
The Woolworths Balmain staff member who tested positive to Coronavirus worked in the self service section of the checkout on June 27 & June 28. If you visited the store on the weekend, health authorities advise to be alert to possible symptoms & to get tested if you have any.