- Vaccines tweaked for Covid variants ‘will be fast-tracked safely’
- Decline in UK Covid rates slowing with possible increase in some areas
- Interpol: fake vaccines seized in China and South Africa ‘tip of iceberg’
- Covid deaths high in countries with more overweight people, says report
- Biden accuses governors of ‘Neanderthal thinking’ over plans to reopen
Germany has told the EU it would uphold its latest border restrictions imposed in an attempt to curb the spread of Covid variants, rebuffing calls from the bloc’s executive European Commission, Austria and the Czech Republic.
The Brussels-based executive last week asked Germany and five other countries to ease unilateral restrictions on movement of goods and people, saying they have “gone too far” and were putting a strain on the functioning of the bloc’s single market.
Hungary will close all shops except food stores and pharmacies and shift to remote learning in primary schools as cases are spreading fast, Viktor Orbán’s chief of staff has now confirmed.
Gergely Gulyás told a government briefing that the government would extend state income support to sectors that have to close down from 8 March until 22 March, Reuters reports.