World Health Organization says it has received just 10% of funds it needs for Covid fight and urges Europe to react fast
- France extends mask use as Greece says it is in second wave
- Global report: Covid cases worldwide near 20 million
- Scientists urge routine Covid testing when English schools reopen
- World map: which countries have the most cases and deaths?
- US coronavirus updates – live
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Monday reported 5,023,649 cases of the coronavirus, an increase of 48,690 cases from its previous count, and said that the number of deaths had risen by 558 to 161,842.
The CDC reported its tally of cases of Covid-19, caused by a new coronavirus, as of 4pm ET on 9 August versus its previous report a day earlier.
Spain’s government defended its response to the coronavirus pandemic on Monday after official data showed the country had overtaken the UK to register the highest total number of cases in western Europe.
“Appropriate measures are being taken to control the pandemic in coordination” with the regions, the government said in a statement, after experts questioned its policies.
The data shows that we are being very active in tracking and detecting the virus.
This is a country that doesn’t understand holding a celebration, or taking a holiday if you’re not going to share them.