Latest updates: Irish warned to minimise socialising; WHO ‘will do everything’ to find Covid origin; Mexico and Brazil seeing ‘alarming’ case surge
- US may begin vaccinations before Christmas
- Vietnam reports first community virus in almost three months
- Moderna Covid vaccine has 94% efficacy, final results confirm
- Scott Atlas resigns as Trump’s pandemic adviser after controversial tenure
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The UK and other countries should steer clear of cutting government spending to ensure a stronger economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development has said.
In its latest economic outlook report, the leading global thinktank said it expected the UK economy to contract by 11.2% this year, compared with the 10.1% fall in GDP it was forecasting in September. The Paris-based organisation also sharply downgraded its forecasts for UK growth next year, to 4.2% from 7.6% three months ago.
The European Medicines Agency said it has received an application for marketing authorisation for Moderna Covid-19 vaccine candidate.