- Picture of two pandemics: cases fall in rich west as poorer nations suffer
- England puts 12 destinations on Covid ‘green list’ for trips from 17 May
- Pope Francis backs waiving patents on Covid vaccines
- WHO approves first Chinese Covid vaccine for emergency use
- New York City proposes vaccinating tourists in popular spots
Egypt will require all visitors arriving from “countries where variants of the virus have appeared” to take a rapid Covid-19 test upon arrival, its health ministry said in a statement on Saturday.
The statement did not specify the countries from which passengers would take the 15-minute DNA test, called ID Now, Reuters reports.
A senior European Union official has countered a US call to waive vaccine patents by pushing for Washington to come up with a commitment to export vaccines.
Charles Michel, the Belgian president of the European Council, the body which sets Europe’s policy agenda, said the bloc was ready to discuss a US offer to suspend patent protection on vaccines – once the details are clear.