- 300,000 excess US deaths recorded as Cathay Pacific cuts 5,900 jobs
- Spain poised to become first European country with over 1m cases
- New Zealand records 25 Covid cases amid arrival of foreign fishing crews
- No deal: how Greater Manchester’s Covid talks broke down
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The UK government is “on the cusp” of agreeing a deal with local leaders in South Yorkshire for the area to go into the tightest coronavirus measures, the housing secretary said on Wednesday.
“We have had very successful conversations (…) with the leaders of South Yorkshire,” Robert Jenrick told Sky News. “Again there’s a serious situation there.”
BREAKING: Housing Secretary @RobertJenrick says an “announcement will be made shortly” on South Yorkshire moving into Tier 3.
Ukraine and the Czech Republic have reported daily record rises in coronavirus infections.
On Wednesday, Ukraine’s national security council reported a record 6,719 new cases registered in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number to 315,826 cases.