New Zealand marks 13 days without new Covid-19 case; €130bn German package cuts VAT, offers cash grants; Mumbai introduces new restrictions after hurricane
- Global report: Mexico and Brazil hit highest daily deaths
- How a small Spanish town became one of Europe’s worst hotspots
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The governor of Tokyo, Yuriko Koike, has said today it may be necessary to a stage a “simplified” Olympics next year due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and that organisers were already discussing possible changes.
Israel’s parliament suspended sessions scheduled for Thursday after a lawmaker tested positive for the coronavirus, while some schools shut down anew amid worries about fresh outbreaks.
Having moved aggressively against the global pandemic in March and seen a tailing-off of new cases, Israel has eased curbs in recent weeks. But officials warn that public complacency could lead to a resurgence in cases.