Trump to halt immigration for 60 days initially; 256m people could starve, says UN; cases worldwide pass 2.5 million
- Coronavirus latest: at a glance
- Fears of prolonged downturn and second wave of US cases
- Ramadan in a time of plague: ‘The best thing is to stay home, stay quiet’
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- Australia coronavirus updates – live
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The coronavirus outbreak has caused as many as 41,000 deaths in the United Kingdom, according to a Financial Times analysis of the latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
The FT extrapolation, based on figures from the ONS that were published on Tuesday, includes deaths that occurred outside hospitals updated to reflect recent mortality trends.
The French minister of labour, Muriel Pénicaud, has said more than 10 million workers have signed up for the country’s temporary unemployment scheme.
That means around 50% of France’s working population has signed up for the scheme, designed to avoid mass layoffs by allowing companies to put staff on reduced or zero hours while the government pays all or most of their wages.