- NHS England to send hospital patients to hotels to free up beds
- China sees biggest daily Covid tally since July as WHO prepares to fly in
- Tokyo 2020 head says ‘impossible’ to delay Olympics as opposition grows
- UK coronavirus updates – live
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Hello everyone. I am taking over the global coronavirus live feed, bringing you all the latest updates from around the world. Please email or get in touch via Twitter or Instagram to share your comments or news tips with me.
Data on the highly contagious Covid-19 variant identified in England do not suggest that vaccines will be less effective against it, while data on the South African variant should be available within weeks, a top British vaccines expert said.
“We have the most data on the UK variant. That doesn’t suggest that it will be any less well protected against by the vaccine,” Wei Shen Lim, chair of Covid-19 Immunisation on Britain’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, said in remarks reported by Reuters.