- State sets new record for second straight day
- New York sees steady decline in cases while other states see rises
- US deaths from Covid-19 have surpassed 125,000
- Reopening plans reverse quickly amid alarming increase in cases
- Survivors could lose insurance if Trump wins bid to repeal Obamacare
- Texas becomes a model for inadequate pandemic response
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
The Mississippi state government has started a process that will see the Confederate battle emblem removed from the state’s flag.
Breaking: House passed it with the two-thirds majority it required. It got immediate release, meaning Senate could take it up as soon as they want.
The legislature has been deadlocked for days as it considers a new state flag. The argument over the 1894 flag has become as divisive as the flag itself and it’s time to end it.
If they send me a bill this weekend, I will sign it. pic.twitter.com/bf3vyzuObt
The Winston-Salem Journal reports on a disturbing development in the Bubba Wallace story. Wallace, Nascar’s only black driver, led a successful campaign to rid the stock-car racing series of the Confederate flag. Last week, a noose was found in his team’s garage although a subsequent investigation found the rope had been there since last fall, and Wallace was not the subject of a hate crime. Here’s what the Associated Press has to say on the latest development:
A North Carolina racetrack has lost some partnerships after its owner advertised “Bubba Rope” for sale online days after Nascar said a noose had been found in the garage stall of Bubba Wallace, the top series’ only Black driver.
Continue reading… Source: The Guardian: Coronavirus US: Florida again breaks one-day record for new cases – live ———