- Amazon fires worker who led New York warehouse strike
- Detroit: America’s next Covid-19 hotspot prepares for surge
- CNN’s Chris Cuomo diagnosed with coronavirus
- See all our coronavirus coverage
- Support the Guardian’s independent journalism. Make a contribution
Fact check: Testing
“We are doing more than anybody else in the world, by far” on testing, Trump said. “And they’re very accurate tests.”
The graphic outlining the predicted number of deaths, with and without mitigation, isn’t presented in a particularly sensitive manner. As a New York Times reporter in the room noted, the slide listed as “goals” up to 240,000 deaths.
That terrifying number is lower than 2.2m deaths that could occur if no distancing or mitigating measures are taken, according to the model presented by Birx.
This White House briefing room slide lists as “goals” 100,000 to 240,000 deaths.