- DNC confirms nominating convention postponed
- 6.65 million filed for US unemployment last week
- US facing hunger crisis as demand for food banks soars
- See all our coronavirus coverage
- Support the Guardian’s independent journalism. Make a contribution
Fact Check: “Greatest healthcare system in the world”
In extolling Americans to stay home, the vice-president Mike Pence said America has the “greatest healthcare system in the world”.
“I’ve known you for many years, but I never knew how bad a senator you are for the state of New York until I became president,” he wrote to the Senate minority leader. “No wonder AOC and others are thinking about running against you in the primary. If they did, they would likely win,” he added, referring to progressive freshman congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.
Schumer has been critical of the president’s response to the crisis and has called on Trump to put a military czar to oversee the production of medical equipment.