- Cuomo: ‘We need to be smart in the way we reopen’ economy
- Trump to base reopening call on ‘facts and instincts’
- US deaths pass 20,000 and confirmed cases reach 529,843
- WHO envoy says virus ‘will stalk the human race’
- Live global updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
- Support the Guardian’s independent journalism. Make a contribution
Illinois governor JB Pritzker expressed hope that his state’s coronavirus figures are leveling off during Sunday’s daily press briefing in Chicago, despite the largest one-day increase of infections to date.
Pritzker said the increase of 1,672 cases in the last 24 hours can be attributed in part to increased testing statewide, saying: “I’ve spoken before about a stabilizing or bending of the curve and today is one more piece of evidence that it may indeed be happening.”
A New York Times report on Saturday, which appeared to be backed up by Dr Anthony Fauci today, that said Donald Trump ignored warnings as early as February that he needed to take action against Covid-19 has clearly riled the president. Trump had already complained about the Times’ reporting on Saturday but renewed his attacks on Twitter on Sunday.
If the Fake News Opposition Party is pushing, with all their might, the fact that President Trump “ignored early warnings about the threat,” then why did Media & Dems viciously criticize me when I instituted a Travel Ban on China? They said “early & not necessary.” Corrupt Media!