South Australia opens up to ACT and Brett Sutton gives evidence at Victoria’s hotel quarantine inquiry. Follow all today’s developments
- Follow our global live blog
- Victoria’s curfew subject to legal challenge
- Latest NSW Covid-19 hotspots
- Latest Queensland hotspots
- NSW cases map; Victoria cases map
People in Victoria ordered to isolate at home in March after returning from overseas escaped $20,000 fines when, after later testing positive for Covid-19, contact tracers found out they had been leaving home.
Victoria’s deputy chief health officer, Dr Annaliese van Diemen, told the state’s hotel quarantine inquiry on Wednesday that before hotel quarantine was used for all returned travellers, people were ordered to isolate at home and failure to do so would lead to $20,000 fines.
During the contact tracing process, [they] asked where they had been in the proceeding days preceding their symptom onset, and a number of them stated that they had been out and about in public places.
Victoria’s chief health officer Prof Brett Sutton gave evidence today before the state’s inquiry into its hotel quarantine system.
He told the inquiry he didn’t know before June outbreaks of the disease that private security firms were being used at the hotels. With hindsight, this had created a transmission risk, he said.