Phone: +44(0)7969 083 371 / +44 7979 971209
#EverybodyNow #ExtinctionRebellion #WhereIsYourPlan
- Extinction Rebellion will not be releasing an ‘anthem’ to take Christmas Number 1 in the music charts.
- Climate breakdown is igniting creativity across all genres and we encourage artists to continue using their platform to address the emergency.
- Extinction Rebellion will be taking action in the run up to Christmas and the general election, to encourage voters to pay attention to the environmental policies and pledges of political parties; do they have the XR Factor? Who is thinking about election cycles and who is genuinely concerned for the future of life on our planet? #WhereIsYourPlan?
Recent media coverage has suggested that Extinction Rebellion are releasing an ‘anthem’ to take Christmas number 1 in the music charts. Whilst we appreciate the band’s enthusiasm, Extinction Rebellion have not ‘joined forces’ with The Jade Assembly on this track. We’d like to address the following:
- The band’s music video includes footage owned by Extinction Rebellion. We frequently give creatives and video makers access and permission to use footage from our video archive. This does not mean that the resulting content is an official partnership.
- Although people within Extinction Rebellion had expressed their support for the band’s enthusiasm and willingness to act, the movement has not officially endorsed their musical project or taken ownership of it. We, as a decentralised movement of hundreds of thousands of people with diverse tastes across many genres, do not partner officially with any businesses, artists or musicians.
- The information provided was not fact-checked by the journalists before being published and two Extinction Rebellion co-founders were quoted without consent and without our press office being contacted for comment.
We are very grateful for the band’s support and that of other artists who give their time, creativity, and even donations to help Extinction Rebellion. Many people approach us with songs, videos etc and it is encouraging to see so many people inspired to create art around the climate and ecological emergency. Creativity is the lifeblood of this movement and we encourage everyone with a platform to help tell the truth about this crisis.
Earlier this year Greta Thunberg and The 1975 supported Extinction Rebellion with their release, and musicians came together to create Music Declares Emergency: an ongoing campaign to drive systemic change across the industry. This week will see the launch of Letters to the Earth, with authors and actors, poets and parents giving voice to the crisis. On top of that, Writer’s Rebel was launched during the October Rebellion which brought together 40 of the UK’s top writer’s to speak truth to power and demand radical action on the emergency.
Tell the Truth this Christmas
This December Extinction Rebellion will be engaged in many activities. Please see the following:
12 Days of Crisis – Extinction Rebellion political team will be highlighting the plight facing humanity (more information to come shortly).
Sarah Lunnon, from Extinction Rebellion Political Working Group said: “What will you do at the start of advent and the countdown to the December election? Extinction Rebellion will use the 12 Days of Crisis to highlight our fragility to devastating weather events. We don’t go immediately from where we are now to extinction after 2050, we lose everything we that matters to us on the way: security, power, food and ultimately everyone we love.”
Election Rebellion – We will be scrutinising the manifestos and election candidates themselves for their ‘XR Factor’ asking #WhereIsYourPlan? What are your climate and ecological strategies to avert this crisis? This follows news that emerged yesterday suggesting the ban against Fracking is simply an empty election promise that could be overturned at the time of application.
Journalism Christmas Climate Pledge – Extinction Rebellion are continuing our Media Tell the Truth campaign. We are urging journalists to cover real news stories this festive season – Outcomes from United Nations COP25, the ongoing wildfires, the scale and impacts of over consumption during the Christmas period.
Sarah Greenfield Clark, Spokesperson for Extinction Rebellion said: “There is a temptation to bury our heads in the sand during this festive season and continue as if we are not in a climate and ecological emergency. It is during this time more than any other that I feel a deep grief over this reality, with its excessive waste and thoughtless consumption. There’s climate news to fill enough papers everyday sadly; just because it’s hard to hear and bursts our Christmas bubble doesn’t mean journalists should be afraid to report on it during December”.
‘Disco-bedience’ – Internationally, rebels are using music to raise awareness of the crisis with global flash mobs coinciding with COP25. Extinction Rebellion Australia will be teaching the routine in a video to be released shortly. Actions in the host Country Madrid have already begin being organised.
Local actions are happening this December up and down the country. Find your nearest group here.
Notes for Editors
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our legal crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.