Official total now at to 35,341; UK facing ‘severe recession the likes of which we haven’t seen’, says Rishi Sunak
- Excess deaths in UK reached almost 55,000 in early May, says ONS
- Labour axes autumn party conference
- Children in England back to school before contact tracing app rolled out
- Home test kits run out as eligibility list is expanded
- Global coronavirus updates – live
Speaking at Downing Street’s daily press conference, the environment secretary, George Eustice, urged Britons to apply for jobs as fruit pickers to compensate for the fact that only a third of the eastern Europeans who normally come to the UK to do this work are expected to arrive.
Here’s more on the news earlier that Labour’s annual party conference has been cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The conference, which would have been Sir Keir Starmer’s first as leader and was due to be attended by 13,000 people in Liverpool in September, will be replaced with online events.