Latest updates: millions in England may face ‘surge’ in rapid testing as Covid curbs are relaxed
- UK to infect up to 90 healthy volunteers with Covid in world first trial
- Cutting Covid top-up ‘will put 700,000 people into poverty’
- Quarantine hotels ‘death sentence’ for at-risk Britons, says cancer patient
- Coronavirus global updates – live
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Some reaction to the human challenge studies announcement (see earlier post):
Wanted: up to 90 young adults to be deliberately infected with coronavirus. Human challenge studies could yield some important information about how the virus transmits and will eventually lead to vaccine challenge trials https://t.co/irs1yigKvc
Prof Dame Angela McLean, chief scientific adviser at the Ministry of Defence, told the science and technology committee that is was “quite unlikely” for a full return to how society was before the pandemic struck, according to PA media.
“I suspect we just won’t go to work if we have a respiratory illness,” she said.