Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news
- Latest: One in four UK firms cut staff levels
- Cough medicine prices up 10% last week
- Introduction: US initial claims could hit a new record today
- Economists predict 3.5m Americans lost jobs last week
- Coronavirus – latest updates
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Supermarket chain Morrisons has announced its tripling its bonus for UK staff this year.
Usually staff get a 6% bonus over the next 8 to 12 weeks, but now (following the surge in demand from shoppers), all frontline workers will receive a 6% bonus on their earnings for the next 12 months.
Morrisons is paying staff a special 12-month ‘thank you bonus’ for sterling work during coronavirus outbreak. Full time staff will be entitled to £1,050 vs £350 average last year. Another retailer doing the right thing.
The ONS’s new coronavirus-impact report shows that online prices rose by 1.1% last week.
That may not sound much, but it’s actually a steep increase — the UK’s inflation target is for the cost of living to rise 2% over a year.
Overall prices up 1.1 per cent on the week.
That’s quite a rate of inflation for heaivily used goods…..