- Mnuchin: ‘If we can get a fair deal, we’ll do it this week’
- New data shows huge uptick in infections of children
- US passes 5m Covid-19 cases
- Street fridges of free food help Americans survive pandemic
- US PPE shortage could last years, experts warn
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
Vilified, threatened with violence and in some cases burned out, dozens of state and local public health officials around the country have resigned or have been fired amid the coronavirus outbreak, a testament to how politically combustible issues such as masks, lockdowns and infection data have become.
The latest departure came Sunday, when California’s public health director, Dr. Sonia Angell, quit without explanation following a technical glitch that caused a delay in reporting virus test results information that was used to make decisions about reopening businesses and schools, the Associated Press reports.
The president is trying to decide which controversial location to use to accept his party’s official nomination for the presidency, at the end of the not-in-person Republican convention.
We have narrowed the Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech, to be delivered on the final night of the Convention (Thursday), to two locations – The Great Battlefield of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and the White House, Washington, D.C. We will announce the decision soon!